The City is widening Bow Trail to two lanes in each direction, between 85th Street SW and Old Banff Coach Road (OBCR), including improvements to intersections and pathways. These upgrades improve how people travel in the area and between communities now and in the future; whether you drive, take transit, cycle or walk. For those of you not able to attend the Information Session on March 22, 2018 regarding the widening of Bow Trail, please find the following information points that we gathered:
BOW TRAIL WIDENING
- Bow Trail will be twinned between Old Banff Coach Rd/Strathcona Blvd and 85th Street.
- Due to the location of the electrical transmission towers, the 2 new lanes being added will be north of the existing lanes on Bow Trail, and so closer to the homes backing on Bow Trail.
- Trees will be planted and speed limits will be reduced to 60 km in this corridor to reduce traffic noise.
- Pathways will be improved along the corridor. This includes the addition of a protected crosswalk across Bow Trail at 77 Street for people traveling between communities (ie: traffic lights activated by pedestrians).
BOW TRAIL & 85 STREET INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS
- 2 through lanes in all directions.
- Dual left-turn lanes in all directions
- Extension of the right turning lanes to accommodate additional traffic.
- Bow Trail will extend further west to accommodate new development in the NW corner of the intersection.
BOW TRAIL & OLD BANFF COACH RD/STRATHCONA BLVD INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS
- Addition of a 3rd left-turn lane, from southbound Old Banff Coach Rd to eastbound Bow Trail
- Lengthen the two left turn lanes from westbound Bow Trail to southbound Strathcona Blvd.
Construction has just begun and will continue until the fall of 2019. For more detailed information, please visit the project website at Calgary.ca/bowtrail-swrr.
If you have any concerns with the construction and impact on our community, please contact our City Councillor, Jeff Davison. Alternatively, you may contact 311 online or by phone for any other concerns in our area. Be sure to get your confirmation # for follow-up, if necessary.